Learning Through PLay
When I Play I Learn
When I paint I learn...
- To Develop eye-hand coordination (writing skill)
- To express my feelings and ideas (language)
- Relationships of size and space (math)
- How colors mix to create new colors (science)
- Concepts of size, shape, and location (math and writing)
When I glue and collage I learn...
- About different textures (intelligence)
- To differentiate patterns from a background (reading skill)
- To create patterns and designs
When I play with blocks, cars and trucks I learn...
- Concepts of size, length, and location (math and reading)
- To create and repeat patterns (math)
- To cooperate with others (social)
- To solve problems (intelligence)
- About the properties of wood (science)
When I play on climging equipment I learn...
- Physical strength, coordination and balance
- To cooperate with others when involved in group play
- To solve problems
When I play with sand I learn...
- Concepts of size, shape, and volume (math)
- How to use tools (writing)
- Concepts of warm and cool, wet, damp, dry, heavy, light (intelligence)
- To observe changes (science)
When I do cooking projects I learn...
- About nutrition, tastes and food groups (intelligence)
- How heat and cold change things (science)
- Whole-part relationships and concepts of volume and measures (math)
- Awareness of my own and other cultures (intelligence)
When I play in the family living area I learn...
- To be flexible in my thinking (intelligence)
- To express myself with my words (language)
- To solve problems through negotiation with friends (intelligence)
- To sort and organize things (math)
- To improvise and use things in a symbolic way (intelligence)
When I sing songs I learn...
- Principles of music and rhythm
- Memory skills and sequencing (reading and math)
When I cut with scissors I learn...
- To control the small muscles of my hands (writing)
- Concepts of shape, size, color, and location (math)
When I play I learn.